Thursday, June 14, 2012

Sweet Reunion


Yesterday was most definitely the highlight of my week!  We went to pick Madua Irene’s Mama, little brother Amaza, and little sister Sarah to take them to the hospital.  When we pulled up to their hut the little kids were yelling “Mzungu a Masse!” but since this is a regular occurrence, I did not get out of the van.  A man started saying Masse’s name, and then another kid did, and then the Ja-Ja’s(Grandma) were saying it, so I had to get out of the van and see if my little girl was FINALLY back.  The man yelled for her and she came running in her little red sweatpants and newly braided hair.  I picked her up and could not control my tears, I was completely overjoyed to be holding this little girl that had so quickly stolen my heart.  I’m pretty sure she was totally confused by my tears, but they didn’t keep her from having a huge grin on her face.  We packed up all 3 kids and the Mama and headed to the hospital, but since things usually run on “Uganda time” we were an hour late and told to come back the next day.  During the second half of our day one group went up to climb the mountain that is behind our hotel, while the other group laid by the pool.( I’m sure you can guess which group I was in J).

Today was a long day to say the least!  It started with a 6am wake up in order to be picked up by 6:30, so that we could make sure that we were at the hospital by 8 sharp!  So around 7:45am we finally get picked up….talk about timely huh? The door swung open and there was my little Masse, her brother, sister, and Mama.  It was such a relief that they had already picked them up!  We made it to the hospital, amazingly, by 8:01am.  After much walking around and being sent back and forth, we ended at the nutrition ward.  It was clear to the staff from the moment we walked in that Amaza was malnourished.  We explained to them that he is one of 10 children and that the mother is struggling to feed them all.  One of the nurses lectured the Mama about family planning and that for anyone 10 children was way too many, let alone a 30 year old woman.  The Mama was slightly irritated that she would be required to stay at the hospital with Amaza, and the added bonus of Sarah since she is still breast feeding.  We left the Mama and the two youngest at the hospital while Masse went back with us to figure out the rest of the day.  I felt so bad for her, it was clear to me that she was confused about what was going on.  We eventually made it back to Mama Aidah’s for lunch, where little Masse got to join us.  It was so precious to watch her look up at me for signs of what she should be doing.  We played with stickers and painted nails until we finally walked her back home. 
Precious Masse eating lunch with us, and of coarse she had a Fanta
I hold back tears when I think about how I am going to be leaving behind this little girl that has such a tight grip on my heart.  The joy that she brings me is truly from the Lord. He most certainly chose her for me that first Saturday here in Uganda when I looked down and noticed that a different child was at my side holding onto my hand.  

No comments:

Post a Comment