Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father to the Fatherless

Today was a pretty eventful day.  I always enjoy sunday's here, most especially because of the worship.  We usually have about an hour and a half of standing up worship, that is generally a mix between hymns and other worship songs.  It is so beautiful listening to them worship in their language, even though I don't understand a word of it! They dance and clap and sing with a joy that can hardly be matched. The church schedule usually looks something like this:


Pre-Worship 9:00-10:00
Sunday School 10:00-10:30
Porridge 10:30-11:00
Worship 11:00-12:30
More Sunday School/Sermon 12:30-1:30


Its pretty crazy, but I love being a part of it! Today after the sermon let out they served lunch to those who were still around.  Masse and Irene sat with me while they had their chicken (which I saw come in live) and rice...and a little bit of goldfish :). After their lunch was served, it was time for us to eat. Most sunday's we go to Mama Aida's for lunch, but today they served it in church. With all the kids gone except Masse, I couldn't help but share some of my pineapple with her(hands down the best pineapple ever). 


Just as lunch was ending Masse looked like she was going to throw up, and I immediately thought I had given her too much to eat.  I felt her forehead and she was burning up, something I knew couldn't have been caused by too much food. Pretty soon her whole body was burning hot and she was shivering.  Becky said that we should take her to the hospital, because she likely had Malaria.  So the whole team piled into the van and we headed to the hospital.  


I felt so helpless the whole time, just wishing I could make it go away for her.  I struggled holding back my tears when they pricked her finger for the Malaria test and she screamed.  They took her temperature, which was about 101, and gave her some fever reducing medicine. When her Malaria test came back positive the doctor assessed her to see how bad it was and gave her some Malaria Pills.  We headed back to Namatala to drop Masse off, and give instructions to her Jja Ja on what to do.  


It was quite a surprise when we got there and her father was there(the dads in Namatala are rarely involved).  He immediately knew who I was, as he called me Mzungu a Masse, just like the children do.  He even asked if I would take her with me when I go back to the states.  I couldn't help but see the irony in this situation, what father wants to give up their child on father's day?  This upsets me for two reasons: one being that I am totally in love with this little girl and would take her home in a heartbeat, and two that taking her with me isn't a likely option and I have to leave her with a father who doesn't care and 9 other siblings.


I left Masse with her father, whom I don't trust in the least, praying that her Heavenly Father will heal her.  I simply have to trust that the Lord, who loves this child more than I can comprehend, is holding this little one in the safety and comfort of His arms. So on this father's day I can't help but be thankful that I have a Father who has promised to never leave me nor forsake me, and who has given me a wonderful Dad to be His arms and feet in loving me on this earth. 
Masse and her porridge (which looks like glue)





1 comment: