Monday, June 18, 2012

Big Needs

I both loved and hated today. We went to check on Mama Irene's malnourished baby in the hospital and it was like a completely different child.  We have been trying to help this child get well since the beginning of the trip, and since day one, this child has absolutely hated us.  At the very sight of us walking up he screams and cries...and forget about trying to touch him! As we talked to the Mama at the hospital, I reached out to him and he placed his little hand in mine. HUGE step. I immediately noticed how much better his skin looked, and couldn't help but smile.  And as we sat talking to his Mama, he gave me the biggest smile. This is what makes him a completely different child.  His smile was the biggest reassurance from the Lord that all of our efforts are making a difference. This was something I honestly thought we would never see from this child, and I was so excited I just wanted to cuddle him!(I definitely didn't try, didn't want to push my luck!)  I left the hospital in complete joy! Oh how I love that my Father knows just when to provide encouragement to His children! When reflecting on His encouragement for us, I can't help but feel that we need to show the same encouragement to the Mama.


We then went from the hospital into the village to finish a garden and check on my little Masse. The kids all rush the van when we pull up, and Masse looked much better than she did the day before.  I picked her up and took her with us to finish the garden for her family.  I got to talk to the oldest sister, who is 12, for the first time.  She kept telling me how Masse hadn't eaten anything since yesterday, and not sure whether to believe her or wanting to start something with the other children, I didn't give her anything.  I asked her if her father had given Masse the medicine, and when she said no, I thought it was just a lack of understanding.  We had someone translate for her to go get the medicine and bring it to us.  Masse had missed 2 doses of her malaria, and probably 4 of her fever medication.  I couldn't help but be frustrated.  This man didn't have to take her to the doctor, he didn't have to pay for the medicine, all he had to do was give her a cup of water and hand her the pills.  We ended up taking the medicine and Masse with us for the rest of the afternoon.  She had a blast dancing in the van with us on the way to the pork joint. Watching her eat made me think about what her sister had said earlier, and it became obvious that she wasn't lying. After lunch we took her back home and begged her 12 year old sister to give her the medicine for tonight and tomorrow morning.  

Masse washing her hands after the pork joint
It hurts my heart each time I drop her off at that hut, and not just for her but this whole family that I have come to love.  I think about where all these children are sleeping, how is it that they aren't getting enough food, and why can't a father break away from the alcohol to help his family when they are in desperate need.  I know that there is no way that I can solve all of these problems, I simply have to hand my concerns over to the Lord and know that He is in control and loves them dearly.

1 comment:

  1. This is a touching entry Kristyn....I think one of the hardest things is to actually let go and let God handle it.....in our flesh we think it is up to us sometimes and it is a show of faith when we trust and rely on the Lord and His provision and timing! What a blessing you all are to this family right at this perfect time! Love you! xoxo Mom

    ReplyDelete